Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Como luna de miel!

...Athens has been looking good these past couple of days, due to too much sun! Work will be knocking on my door as of tomorrow...but for now I'm pampering me! I have decided to give me some love...to excuse me from all chores and any kind of unnecessary work.

....it's time again to stop, look in the mirror with eyes full of compassion, and recharge...

...10:00am found me in bed, watching indifferent t.v.....a morning show with cooking...but with an interesting recipe for cheesepie....hmmm....

...the recipe said:

2-3 tablespoons of butter that we melt in a pot
...we add a cup of semolina
...warm up a litre of milk (4 cups)


...I used 1 kg (2lbs) low fat fetta cheese



...that I crumbled...



....2 eggs and 2 egg yolks...



.....when the milk was warm enough and ready...



...I poured it over the mix of semolina and butter, and stirred...




...I left it on the stove, on medium heat, and stirred until it became bubbly and creamy...



....then I added the fetta cheese...


...and the eggs...


...stirred well and cooked it for 5 more minutes...at this point I added a tablespoon and a bit, of salt...


...I greased a pan with olive oil...


...and started applying the filo (I used the whole package of 12 sheets)....first I applied nine sheets, on the bottom, while greasing each one of them, and afterwards I emptied the cheese filling in and before I started closing it I shred one sheet of filo...

...which I pressed into the filling, for all the fluids to get absorbed, while baking...



....and then closed all the sheets....



...I added the last 2-3 sheets on top, and pushed them in, on the sides, with a spatula...




...I greased the top, and the cheesepie was ready for the oven...




...I baked it for 40 minutes at 375F (170C)...


....the one side of the cheesepie was ready....


....in order for the bottom side of it to get baked equally as the top, I turned it over into another pan....


...and baked it for another 15 minutes...


...until golden brown...



....in Greek it's called "Tiropita" or "Bougatsa me tiri"...you can have it warm or cold, with your coffee...as a snack...or with salad on the side as light lunch. You can also add pieces of ham in the filling or mushrooms...some mint, too. We usually have it for breakfast, or we bake one when we have a dinner party. I personally happen to be a huge ''Tiropita" fan, and because I count my calories I always use skimmed milk and low fat cheese. Others grease the sheets of filo with melted butter, which is truly delicious, but I prefer olive oil because it's healthier and it still tastes good.


....love it and enjoy it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Manya!
Oh, my. I would LOVE to try that dish. In Athens. With you!!!!
Lynn