Sunday, April 18, 2010

Menos mal que...

...it was good while it lasted...after so long, I had breakfast with my children...

...when they're young they're stuck on you...they follow you around...they sit on you...sleep next to you...come to the bathroom with you...follow you in every room...

...after school you wait for them with the food ready...you all sit around the kitchen table...listen to them talking of their school...their friends...their studies...

...there comes one day, though, when you realize that you have been eating standing up a piece of toast and cheese...for lunch...alone...and this has been happening for many days in a row...

...to them it means nothing...to me is change...big change...they're growing up...they're too busy...it's their friends...their work...their interests...they're getting ready to fly...

...that's how it should be...they're not mine...they belong to themselves...they should spread their wings...take each opportunity....search...discover...experiment....it's their time now...

....this morning my angel girl poached some eggs for me...and miraculously her brother joined us...we all sat around our table, just like last year and the year before that....we talked...laughed...felt the same feelings as before...our magic was still there, it hadn't been lost...

...of course, the phone rang...someone turned on his computer...the cat needed to be fed...all of a sudden I looked at the table and it was empty...the dirty dishes and what was left of our food were there to remind me that not too long ago I had a beautiful Sunday morning...that nothing was lost...and somewhere in the back of my head something told me that there will be more of this in the future...not often...but again...for sure.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Manya,
This post brought tears to my eyes. I miss my Lauren SO much and it is such a struggle in transition when she comes for a visit and then leaves. It is like all the light is blown out of the house....
Four weeks and she is home for summer. But it will be a different person living here, no? Not the same girl, but different in a better way. Almost like roomates, but being the parent, you get more of a say in how the house rules go!!!
xoxo
lynn