Saturday, March 27, 2010

Verduras y psicoterapia!

...once a week in every neighborhood there's a farmer's market... ....I consider it one of my little pleasures, because there's so much energy going around...I meet friends...exchange recipes with ladies that I don't know...laugh with the vendors who shout the smartest and funniest slogans...some I know by their first names...some others who I don't know at all call me "koukla mou" (my doll) or "kopela" (young lady)...now tell me....why wouldn't I want to go back!


...the fruits and vegetables are always fresh...the farmer's market or "laiki"in Greek, is the place where people discuss politics, soccer, the current scandals (what scandals?!!)....the crisis (what????)...it's a little Parliament...

....this is my favorite "egg man" who gives me my eggs every week. His brother also studies Spanish, so every time we see each other we exchange a few sentences...


...the ancient Greeks believed in holistic medicine...there's a special herb for every malady...cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, insomnia, constipation, indigestion, bronchitis, high blood pressure...even for..hmm....hmmmm!!! (thyme!)


...Greece has many olive trees. We produce the best olive oil in Europe. Our olives are something to die for! There's a saying that says that as long as you have bread and olives, you will get by in life easily!


...one of the things that I always have in my house is fresh flowers, that I buy every week from here...


...this is my friend Katerina's booth....she gives me the best vegetables....and if I look the other way she stuffs something extra in my bag, like a head of lettuce, or finocchio...it's her way of being the sweet thing that she is!


...a while ago we had vendors who sold clothes, silver jewelry and kitchenware....my friend Felly and I used to call them "our boutiques"...now the "boutiques" are gone and my friend has moved to another area...


..strawberry short cake is next!



...our best tomatoes come from the island of Crete...Cretans have the lowest rate in heart disease, cholesterol, arthritis...all due to their healthy way of eating...


....must go cook now...I wish you a relaxing weekend and positive thoughts....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, Manya-
What a beautiful post!!!! I adore Farmer's Markets. We have one here, but I can never remember to go-it's too early on a Saturday for me. I love to stay home on Sat. mornings!!! We have one one Thursday evenings downtown, but I never go to that one. Guess I'll have to come to Greece to go to the best!!!
xoxo
Lynn